Saturday, 20 July 2013

TOP HAT BABY GIFT


Firstly I want to thank you all for your lovely comments on my challenge basket, I do appreciate them all.  As I said I don't know if I will ever make another one.   Now the one I will show you tonight is one that I don't think I will be asked again to make.



This was requested by a nanny friend.  It was for the new baby son of one of Kathleen's ex charges whom she still has a lot of contact with.   I had made a wedding gift for this person too, when he got married three years ago. This was the wedding gift, as you can see it had a top hat ice bucket as the centre piece.

The story behind all this, is when Kathleen was the nanny to this little boy (the one getting married) he often went about with little else on apart from a Top Hat, he would go no where without taking a packet of Party Ring Biscuits, he loved Sugar Mice and Rose and Violet chocolate creams.  Kathleen gave me a bag full of these things plus an ice bucket and said can you make a gift of these, now bear in mind I had not long started doing things other than my nappy cakes.  Yes it was a challenge and sorry the photo isn't that good but it was only for my record. It went down every well with the couple.

Then when baby was born again Kathleen handed me a bag. This time it contained a hat box with a child sized Top Hat and she asked me to make a baby gift with the hat as the holder of baby bits.
I did manage to put a sleep suit, vest and a bib in the middle topped it with the toy, so did try to get a from birth rabbit but failed.  Again both the parents were over the moon with this gift, as was Kathleen.    So you can see why I don't think I will be making another one of these.

That's all for tonight it's that warm I think I will just veg out on the sofa and do nothing.

Hazel xxx

13 comments:

  1. Well I'll say one thing for you Hazel - you always rise to the challenge! I guess it was quite a small "container" in comparison to the things you usually do, but you did a great job! When John called when he got down the mountain he said how hot it was - yet it is has been cooler here today. Quite a relief! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely unique gifts Hazel. Really nice the top hat connection in both of them. Not surprised they were delighted. You make really special gifts and most people like something different from the ordinary.

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hazel
    I would imagine the "top hat" baby basket would be a somewhat niche market but at least I know where to direct folk if the need should arise lol.
    Do I spy an Ikea dining chair? It looks just like our chairs.
    Be good.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh you spotted my ikea chairs I have learned to not include the furniture in the photos now. I am an ikea person it's such good value. A niche market is fine but that hat was a pain to cling up. Have to get bits for son-in-laws beer cake next.

      Delete
  4. You make some fabulous gifts, Hazel. Things that will be so much appreciated by everyone. Just had a look at your previous basket, which looks really lovely re-lined with the pretty lace and filled with all those sweet baby items xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hazel

    I would think a top hat would make a perfect wedding gift if you see what I mean yo might be making more after all it is a great idea kids can be very funny about favourite things can't they? Hope you are finding time to enjoy the weather.

    Crafty Hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Sis,
    Oh! I remember the trials and tribulations!!!! Of these makes.
    As usual you rose to the occasion and your customer was "over the moon"
    Here comes the sun
    Have a great day
    Hugs

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hazel, another great make, your ideas are terrific and you do certainly rise to a challenge, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hazel,
    fabulous top hat cake. Such a pity you can't find more of these top hats. they look superb, but then it wouldn't mean so much to anybody else without that little story of the top hat.
    Have a wonderful crafty Sunday.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea and it looks great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hazel, this are both fab gift ideas & love the story behind the top hat! Carole Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super personalised gifts again Hazel.
    Happy crafting, Erika.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As usual you rose to the occasion and your customer was "over the moon"

    ReplyDelete